Angela G. Huskey, PharmD, CPE
Senior Vice President & Chief Clinical Officer
Angela G. Huskey, PharmD, CPE is creating change as our nation faces the critical public health problem of escalating substance use. Stemming from her personal experience of caring for a loved one with a substance use disorder (SUD), Dr. Huskey has made it her mission to help improve the care of patients suffering from pain, mental illness, and addiction. Today, that passion, combined with access to talented colleagues and the latest research, has continued to push her to excellence in these areas of medicine.
Dr. Huskey recognized the opportunity to engage her team in harnessing the data available through Millennium Health’s analytics platform to create real-time trend reports identifying emerging drug threats. Using urine drug test (UDT) results to monitor the shifting landscape of drug use allows clinicians, first responders, and those responsible for public health to be quickly informed about these changes to help prevent overdoses and save lives.
In collaboration with her team and recognized clinical experts, Dr. Huskey formalized this data-driven approach through the creation of a nationwide initiative called the Emerging Threat Intelligence (ETI) Program™. Dr. Huskey’s goal for this program is to provide meaningful, real-time insights into dangerous and evolving trends in drug use nationwide and use these findings to aid the development of rapid health responses.
Since the creation of the ETI Program, Millennium Health has entered into collaborations with U.S. Department of Health and Human Services and the Ohio Department of Public Safety to provide real-time data on an ongoing basis. As former Assistant Secretary for Health Admiral Brett P. Giroir, M.D., says, “The donation of this data is a critical tool for reducing the occurrence of the substance use epidemic and reaching the people who need help most.”
The ongoing surveillance and reporting conducted by Dr. Huskey and the Millennium Health team have resulted in numerous publications and trend reports, including a study co-authored with HHS and published in JAMA that identified significant changes in illicit drug use during the COVID-19 pandemic. This study supports the critical role that novel data sources can play in understanding the impacts that public health emergencies, like the COVID-19 pandemic, can have, particularly for those vulnerable to substance use.
Dr. Huskey also helped establish the Women at Millennium Health (WAMH) group, and currently serves on the steering committee and chairs the Leadership & Mentorship committee. She is a highly sought-after expert spokesperson and has been interviewed by several national news outlets including USA Today. Her work has been featured in US News & World Report, The Washington Times and The Hill. Dr. Huskey is also the recipient of the American Society of Pain Educators’ “Pain Educator of the Year” Award and Top 25 Women Leaders in Biotechnology of 2020.
A dynamic, cross-functional leader with over 15 years of direct patient care, pharmaceutical and biotech experience, she is accomplished in building and leading medical and clinical affairs teams through change and growth. Before joining Millennium, Dr. Huskey held various medical affairs positions in the pharmaceutical industry; responsible for developing and managing key opinion leader relationships, clinical education, and collaborative research. As a clinician and after residency, she practiced as a clinical pharmacy specialist in both the inpatient and outpatient settings, specializing in the care of patients with substance use disorders and complex pain syndromes.
Recent Speaking Engagements:
- Reagan Udall Foundation (FDA) COVID-19 Evidence Accelerator on SUD – “National Drug Use Trends”
- RISE National Women in Heath Care Leadership Summit – “Leading Women of Health Care and their Path to Leadership”
- Healthcare Innovation Southern California Summit – “How Collaboration Helps Save Lives”
- North San Diego Business Chamber Health Care Advisory Council — “COVID-19 Impact on San Diego”
- Women in Bio — “Navigating Change and Broadening Career Horizons”
- SharpHeels Career Summit 2020 – “Enhancing Executive Presence”
- Founding Steering Committee Member of “Woman at Millennium Health” (WAMH)
- Member of the North County Business Chamber Health Advisory Council
- Two-Time Finalist for the San Diego Business Journal Business Women of the Year
- Member of and Mentor for the Healthcare Businesswoman’s Association
- Member of Women in Bio
- Big Sister for Big Brothers Big Sisters San Diego
Therapeutic area specialties and expertise include:
- Emerging Illicit and Prescription Drug Use Trends
- Defining Medical Necessity
- Clinical Excellence in Laboratory Business
- Substance Use Disorders
- Pain Management
- Infectious Disease